Monday 22 June 2015

Baked Fish on the weekend & how it happened

Hi everyone !

I just was having a hard time all of last week, rather from the day I got back home from the holidays. Ask me why? I just could not stop sulking about the holiday being over too soon :( . I so really wished to extend this vacation for the little things like cycling, gallivanting around in the near-by villages, jogging on the lakeside and relishing fish and sea food for my meals, that I was enjoying so much. Nevertheless the sulking part, had to get myself and my spirit going so during the weekend grocery shopping when I came across some fresh Dorada fish on the meat counter I could not resist and got it for the weekend dinner. 



Manish and I love to have good home-cooked food and we usually cook lavish on weekends trying out new recipes and making the whole thing a big deal :D I have to admit that he is an excellent cook especially because of the discipline with which he follows a recipe. I, for that matter, am mostly always tuning the recipes to my liking. I must add though, my inspiration to cook is none other than my husband. 
The sunday evening was made special with Baked Dorada on a bed of vegetables, served with spiced Basmati rice and red wine.

Ingredients:

- Whole Fish 
- Spices for marination ( I used Tandoori mix, Cumin Powder, Salt, Chillies)
- Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Seasonal Vegetables chopped as you like (I used Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Corn Kernels, Red Onion)

How to make it:

- Prepare marination: Mix olive oil, spices, salt and lemon juice and rub it outside and inside the fish. It is best if the fish is left to marinate overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Preheat the oven between 200-220°C and in the meanwhile chop all the veggies and marinate them as well in Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and chilli/pepper and spread them in the baking dish 
- Top the vegetables with the marinated fish and insert a few garlic cloves inside the fish
- Cover the dish with a Foil, folding all corners and sealing it well
- Stick it in the oven for 30-35 minutes. This time can vary depending upon the dish and oven used. I recommend checking it once at the end of 30 minutes and decide accordingly if it needs to be cooked longer.

For the Rice:
- Heat some oil in a pan and add spices. Give this a quick cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat and add boiled Basmati rice. Sauté it for another 3-4 minutes, add salt and take the pan off heat.

Before I covered it with foil

Smiling Fish :) once it was out of the oven

 The fish turned out delicious and was a healthy meal rich in protein, vitamins, fibre and carbs. A tad bit of calories from the fairtrade Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot but we must live it a up a little too !!

Table laid for this meal, Holiday pictures playing on TV and all the banter over it, made for a splendid time with my boys this weekend. 

Let us lay the table
Guten Appetit

I hope you enjoyed reading this one and make use of this 'strategy' soon to bounce back from sulking over the holidays which always get over too soon.

Cheers to healthy cooking and smart ways to re-live the holidays !


1 comment: